Sometimes I really struggle with the motivation to cook healthy, nutritious, relatively quick-and-easy meals (the kids will eat) during the week.
Sometimes I want to serve up PB-and-Js, mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, or chicken nuggets every night of the week. (Absolutely no judgement if this is what you are doing. I have had weeks where every night the meal came out of a box and all I did was add water. The “vegetable” for the night was a chip that claimed to have vegetables in it. The fruit came out of a can. Nothing wrong with any of this, but I digress.)
Sometimes I want to make a quick run through a drive-thru near me and come home with 10,000 calories of hot, already-cooked food I know the kids will eat.
And then sometimes I decide to really mix it up, which brings us to today’s post!
How to spice up your weeknight dinners:
- Cook a homemade meal, then freeze part of it.
- Insist that you will certainly not forget what is in that particular container and that you will absolutely 100% be able to tell what the frozen meal is at a later date. And do NOT label it. (This is a vital part of the future fun.)
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 a few times over a few weeks.
- Pick a day to have (drumroll again….) “Mystery Meal Night” (Lights flash, cheesy game show host announces “Mystery Meal Night” in a deep, calm, yet excited voice.)
- Now open the freezer and pick an unlabeled container to defrost for dinner.
- Take bets with your family on what you think is in said container.
- Look at said container and muse out loud about what light-brown-tan-red-orange-flecks-of-green meal this might be.
- Write your guesses down. Keep a tally over time of who gets it right most often.
- Now, defrost and enjoy!
I know. I know. If this is my idea of fun and spicing it up, well… things really have gone downhill. But truthfully my freezer has a few containers in there that I have not labeled. I have absolutely no idea what they are. And while we’re on the topic, why does everything look the same once it is frozen?
So, if I were my own best friend I would tell myself to follow steps #1-9 and have a little fun clearing out the freezer. And then I would buy myself tape and a pen. And I would label every leftover meal that goes into the freezer.
Happy dinner dining!
0 comments on “How to: Spice up your weeknight dinners”